Skip to main content

Nigeria In Trouble, Education System Dead – Soyinka


Nobel laureate, Prof Wole Soyinka, has said Nigeria’s educational system is nothing to write home about.
He spoke on Sunday at the University of Lagos, Akoka, during the presentation of a play, ‘Folly of Men.’
The event was part of activities commemorating the 90th anniversary of the Government College, Ibadan (GCI).
According to the prolific playwright and activist, education in Nigeria is horrific, adding that the country is in trouble.
Soyinka, while fielding questions from journalists, commended the GCI Old Boys Association for organising the programme.
He said the country’s education was nothing to write home about.
“We are in serious trouble, education-wise in this country. Let me not kid you; it’s horrifying. That was why I was happy about the initiative of creating a model school and trying to resurrect this Government College and present it as the ideal. We are really very low, education-wise.
“I have learnt how much they (old students association) have done in the last few days and I am very proud of their work. I just hope the government leaves them alone; don’t interfere with them. Let them bring back to everybody’s mind the possibility of what education can be,” the renowned writer said.
The President of the GCI Old Boys Association, Dr Wale Babalakin, said the college had fallen into disrepair.
He explained that in the last one year, the group had spent over N500m to renovate the school’s structures.
“There is nothing called general education. Education must be good. It is better not to provide education than to provide poor education because an half-educated person is a danger to himself and the society.
“We have to make conscious efforts to invest in education and create a proper school that will further the development of Nigeria,” he added

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toke Makinwa, Tell The Young Ones How You Make Your Money – Yomi Black Insists

Nollywood producer Yomi Black, in his response to the reply he got from Toke Makinwa, has insisted that she needs to tell people her source of income. Taking to his Instagram page, Yomi mentioned that though he acknowledged the fact that the OAP is quite hardworking and that they had run some projects together in the past, but she needs to tell the young ones how she makes her money. He wrote: On this issue, I would like to say I understand why Toke responded the way she did. The bloggers set a trap for her and she fell for it. I admit I saw Soji Ogunaike’s comment on Instablog and I thought it was very interesting, especially since Soji dared her to show how she made a living. I shared it because I really thought there was a lesson there. In the post I made it clear that it was copied from Soji Ogunaike, but the bloggers reported the story and cropped out the credit to insight a war between Toke and I. They even made the headlines more interesting by saying I (Yomi...

“There’s No Explanation Anybody Can Give” — Governor Akeredolu Condemns DSS For Invading Courtroom To Arrest Sowore

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu has condemned the invasion of the courtroom by Department of State Services (DSS) to rearrest #RevolutionNow convener, Omoyele Sowore on Friday December 6. Though the DSS and the Presidency have shared their own account of the incident, the Governor of Sowore’s home state insisted that there is no explanation anyone can give to justify the invasion of the courtroom. Akeredolu also expressed fear of lawyers being arrested in the middle of court sessions. He said; “It should be an anathema to the bar that inaction has come upon us. The bar needs to talk on quite a number of things. “We must be terror against demagogues. It is when your voice of the bar is heard consistently that it will earn respect. Will people go and desecrate our courtrooms and we keep quiet? The bar must condemn it. There is no explanation anybody can give you. “Somebody calls it drama. Drama! How? What we saw was not drama, you must stand up to condemn the SSS for what they...

Mad o 'President Buhari Reacts As Punch Changes President’s Title To ‘Major General’

The Presidency has reacted to the decision by Punch Newspaper to henceforth refer to President Muhammadu Buhari as General Buhari. In a notice titled “Buhari’s lawlessness: Our Stand”, Punch stated that it will “henceforth prefix Buhari’s name with his rank as a military dictator in the 80s ‘Major General’ and refer to his administration as a regime until they purge themselves of their insufferable contempt for the rule of law. The newspaper made the decision while making reference to DSS non-compliance to court orders on trial of Omoyele Sowore, publisher of SaharaReporters; invasion of courtroom and trial of Shiites’ leader, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky amongst others. Punch said its decision shows its protest against autocracy and military-style repression under Buhari’s administration. However, in reaction to Punch’s decision, Femi Adesina, a Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, said the newspaper’s decision to call Buhari ‘Major General’ is not out ...